For more posts like these, go visit psych2go
Psych2go features various psychological findings and myths. In the future, psych2go attempts to include sources to posts for the for the purpose of generating discussions and commentaries. This will give readers a chance to critically examine psychology.
I don’t know much about this Psych2go thing but I know that these “facts” are not true - OR on the surface, the way they are put out here for you to read, are twisted because you cannot just look at one thing and go YEP that is the reason for that - instead of looking at ALL the factors in the systems of life.
1. Being shy makes your brain work better ——- for one, this has nothing to do with psychology. two, being shy is a personality trait - it has nothing to do with how the brain works. what about a shy person who has a learning disability? an extroverted go getter who is in the top of their class? this is too general of a statement and holds no grounds in psychology.
2. that list of positive things that talk about the later you lose your virginity - again, not much of a psychological thing but hey Ill go with it anyway - for one, you can’t just look at that one aspect - losing their virginity early - because there are many factors here. What are we learning about sex? are we learning how to use condoms and practice safe sex or are we being told “dont have sex until you’re married.. ever” because how one is taught sex will affect how sex is treated in an individual’s life. Also, there has been a study done, but it was only done with 1,500 or so people. That is a small number in the grand scheme of things. Did they do a study on every people group? Did they go into rich communities and impoverished areas? Did they go to different states? No. Plus, the study they used was did the person have sex “early” “on time” or “later” - and they attached ages onto that - which does not help the study and isn’t really based on fact, because who determines what is early, on time, and late for sex??? you can’t just look at the one fact of “they lost their virginity before 15, so they don’t have this stuff” because there are family stuff ,community stuff, individual problems, school settings, and much more to factor into anything like sex.
3. thought suppression. the only basis this really holds all the time is with someone who has OCD. when they try to suppress those thoughts and not wash their hands five times, it can become harmful for them and come back even stronger. that is psychologically based BUT this fact does not give the whole truth.
4. the thing about musicians… just nah
5. i dont know much about reverse psychology so i wont touch on this one
6. psychopathy and sociopathy. sorta close on this one. Yeah psychopathy is more of a hereditary thing. the traits they game from their parents often shape the whole “psychopath” thing - and sociopaths are that way because of a brain injury or other things, like yes parental neglect, but it isn’t based solely on that nurture aspect - because it can be involved in poverty and extremely high and low intelligence. so it isn’t fully based on nurture.
7. i dont know about sleepy on your belly? but the research was done in china, with a pool of 670 students, with two thirds of them being female - so it isn’t culturally balanced, gender balanced, age balanced, or anything.
8/ that isn;t just the fear of losing someone you love - most all people have that rational fear - however this is the irrational and extreme thought of losing someone you love - “they are getting in the car what if they get in a car wreck or trip on something on the way out and crack their head open” etc etc - extreme and irrational - if you have a rational fear of someone you love dying, you don’t have this
9. when you feel sad for no reason - that is literally just a word created to mean “feeling sad for no reason” it isn’t a DSM V disorder and it isn’t like a psychological thing that could be treated or anything???
10. this last one is weird because it could be the other way around just as easily. does someone who suffers from anxiety and depression or bi polar disorder run to creative ideas and other things because they struggle with all of this. Edvard Munch struggled with depression and anxiety and to let it out he painted. same with van gogh. but they didnt have this great creativity lead them to suffer from anxiety. the way this one is worded is weird and deceiving. if i read this i would go “no way i dont want to be creative” so stop with this nonsense
most “psych facts” you find on tumblr are false
SO this has been a fun thing to do enjoy your days